Overview and Objectives
- Temasek Foundation champions sustainability and innovative solutions to improve liveability in an abc World of active and productive economies, beautiful and inclusive societies, and a clean and cool earth.
- We fund and support ideas and innovations that bring about solutions, systems and capabilities to address various challenges, particularly environmental, healthcare and other adversities affecting the population as whole. This includes transforming vulnerabilities brought about by such adversities into opportunities.
- Temasek Foundation is currently conducting its Call for Proposals. Interested parties can submit their proposals via our online Intent to Apply Form.
- Temasek Foundation provides funding for later-stage applied, translational research and development proposals, and/or commercialisation efforts of innovative solutions that address liveability and sustainability issues in Singapore, bringing impactful improvements to the liveability of our world, especially in cities.
- Examples of liveability and sustainability issues include but are not limited to:
- Food and Nutrition;
- Infectious Disease Management;
- Waste Management;
- Weather and Climate
- Temasek Foundation does not fund early research efforts.
- Solutions should preferably be at Technology Readiness Level 6 and beyond and/or Proof-of-Value stage.
- Solutions that are economically sustainable and have considerable social impact will have an added advantage when they are assessed in competition with others.
- Solutions can originate from within or outside Singapore, but they have to benefit Singapore, be applicable or adaptable in Singapore.
- The Lead Principal Investigator of the programme/project should ideally be based in Singapore.
- Solutions will be assessed in the following context:
Does Singapore need this solution? How impactful is the innovation in delivering positive outcomes for our communities, or in bringing impactful improvements to the liveability of our world, especially in cities?
Has the Proof-of-Concept and clinical trials been demonstrated? Is the solution sufficiently mature (i.e. Technological Readiness Level 6 and beyond)? How well does the solution fare against competing technologies? How will any safety, ethics or regulatory requirements be addressed?
Is the solution commercially viable? What is the commercialisation strategy? Are there distribution channels for the solutions or end users or ‘receptacles’ to adopt them already?
- One assessment consideration is whether applicants have applied for funding from other grant institutions. Temasek Foundation may seek verification from applicants for the proof of application to other institutions, where applicable.
- Proposals submitted should contain all relevant information required for a proper and complete evaluation without the need to go back to applicants for additional information. Relevant privileged or confidential information should be disclosed if necessary to help convey a better understanding of the proposed project. Temasek Foundation reserves the right to reject applications deemed incomplete.
- Details in the application form which applicants are expected to complete include
(but are not limited to) the following:
- Details of the applicant/company;
- Profile of lead Principal Investigator;
- Project duration and other details;
- Current issue in Singapore to be addressed and proposed solution;
- Competitive advantage of the solution;
- Impact of the solution;
- Commercial application of the project and potential implementation or industry partners;
- Declaration of other funding support;
- Detailed write-up of the project;
- Proposed budget and use of funding;
- Payment milestones; and
- Project outcome indicators.
- All applicants must comply with relevant ethics and other regulatory approval requirements needed to carry out their project.
- Temasek Foundation’s decision on the fund support to be awarded for each project, or part thereof, is final.
- For successful applicants, the funding quantum awarded for the project will depend on the extent of work to be carried out. Funding support is also provided in phases in accordance with the completion of stipulated project milestones.
- The project duration can be within or span more than one year, up to a maximum of three years.
- The funding support requested for should exclude contributions in kind, existing equipment and the cost of existing manpower, as well as building costs. All expenditure should be budgeted inclusive of any applicable Goods and Services tax at the prevailing rate.
- Qualifying expenses which will be considered include but are not limited to the following:
Basic Manpower Costs
Salaries plus employer’s Central Provident Fund contribution, excluding bonuses. Founders’ salaries will not be supported.
Includes consultancy, sub-contracting or prototyping costs by third-party local companies.
New Equipment/ Software
Includes purchase price, and costs related to commissioning and operation (e.g. delivery, installation, handling, etc.). Only technical software related to the programme/project is supported.
General Purpose Information Technology and Communication Equipment
Only if deemed necessary for work related to the project.
Intellectual Property Rights - Materials & Consumables
Includes licensing and technology acquisition costs from non-related parties.
Other Operating Expenditure
(Subject to Approval)
Examples include: Economy class airfare and other travel costs which are directly related to the project; training by external parties intrinsic to the project; patent-related costs; rental of specialised equipment or facilities, and indirect costs (e.g. shared overheads), etc.
Progress Reports, Reviews, and Final Reports
All successful applicants are expected to submit progress reports in accordance to the stipulated milestones. Temasek Foundation reserves the right to request progress reports more frequently when necessary. Final reports on the overall achievement of the completed projects must be submitted to Temasek Foundation within three months of their completion.
Temasek Foundation decision to approve or reject an application or revoke any approval given shall be final, and Temasek Foundation may approve or reject an application without giving any reasons.
Changes to Guidelines
Temasek Foundation reserves the right to make changes to the above application guidelines as and when it deems fit.
Applications and Enquiries
- Applicants are to complete the online Intent to Apply Form.
- For enquiries pertaining to the Temasek Foundation Call for Proposals, please contact [email protected]